What is Xero Community?
The Xero Community website is a place where you as Xero customers and partners can be part of the conversation. You can ask each other questions about using our products and managing small business or personal finances. You can get technical help with our API, solve issues, swap ideas and tips and let us know how Xero’s accounting software is working out for you.
We want you to become experts and to give you the opportunity to build a profile and share your knowledge in the Xero Community.
We're here to help and we're always listening and feeding information back through to the Xero team.
So please add your photo, let us know where you are, tell other users a bit about yourself in your bio, and ask and answer any questions you can.
The power of referral and help from your peers will help grow your knowledge and business.
Make sure you have a Xero login to post a question or answer and that you're in the right forum.
If you're not a Xero customer i.e. if you don't have a user account - Sign up to Xero.
- Xero Business - for small business and accounting and conversation relating to our Xero Business product
- Xero Developer - for technical conversation relating to our API and software development and our Add-on products
Xero Community Tips
The Xero Community is reactively moderated. You can login and contribute to the discussion without having to wait for us to clear comments.
If someone isn’t playing nice, let us know by using the Report link and we’ll see what the story is.
Some tips for an enjoyable experience for all:
- Use your existing Xero login to post a question or answer. Anyone is welcome to browse and read what's already posted.
- Add your name, photo and brief bio to help build your credibility and reputation. Tell us where you are by entering a location – this helps us and others answering your question to take into account any tax or other things specific to your region. If you're an official Xero Partner you'll have the opportunity to include your website and logo. We want to see your smiley face.
- Share your contributions on social media sites such as LinkedIn and Twitter – it helps to build your profile and educates others.
- Search or browse for a similar question before asking yours.
- Add your question to the most relevant topic and stay on topic. Sometimes contributing to a previous post is more helpful than adding a new question (we review all issues and feature requests - keep them clustered together so it's easier for us spot trends and top requests).
- Add your vote to threads in the ‘feature request’ topic by using the vote button at the top of the thread – ‘+1’ responses aren’t counted.
- Give as much detail as you can, without divulging personal information of course, so that others can understand your post.
- Ask your question in a good, short and relevant way so it's easy to identify in a list - keep the details of your question for the 'more details' field when you're entering it.
- Use our Advisor Directory and partner website links to find yourself an advisor - make those enquiries via email please.
- Report urgent faults or share and ask questions about your personal information or data through regular channels.
- Impersonate others. We encourage everyone to use their real name and website links - you don't have to but please don't use someone else's. Only use images that you have ownership or permission to use and attribute people's work when you are referring to other images or copy.
- Post illegal or naughty stuff, or spam us with advertisements and posts of a commercial nature. Nobody likes that stuff and we will remove it.
- SHOUT - words and links to screenshots are just as effective as leaving your caps lock key on.
What about Xero's participation?
We're here, floating around the site, reading your posts, taking on board and reporting feedback to the relevant team and joining conversations where we can offer some product or technical help.
We'll merge duplicate questions or archive those discussions requesting features when that functionality has been released or move questions into different topic if we feel there's one more appropriate.
We'll review the topics and feedback about the community site itself - this is our own work, not proprietary software so we're keen to improve and expand as necessary.
We reserve the right to remove posts that aren't in the spirit of community and breach these rules and we encourage you to look after our community by doing the same - if you're a logged in member of the community, use the 'Report' link on a post if you feel something needs removal or moderation.
Xero Community How-to's
Some tips on how our community site works in case it works differently to others you've used:
- You need to be logged in using a Xero account to post a question or answer.
- The topics are set by us and are available to everyone. If you’re a logged in Xero Accounting Partner in the Xero Business section of the site there are additional topics seen only by you and other Xero Accounting Partners.
- Use the ‘vote’ button or link on threads in the ‘feature requests’ topic. Votes tell us what our community sees as important and helps us prioritize what to work on next. You have 5 votes to use – one per request. Once a request is completed, your vote on that thread will be returned to you to use again.
- Email notifications - the person who originally posted a question can choose to receive an email every time an answer is posted to that question: you can stop this yourself from the question. If you’re not the person who originally posted a question but want to be notified each time the question is updated, use the 'Get email updates' link on the question.
- You can subscribe to a certain topic or question, or every question and answer using RSS - simply click on the RSS link on a topic or question. You don't need to be a logged in member of the community to use RSS. If you're not sure what RSS is or how to get a 'feed' from the Xero Community take a look at what RSS is on or this (from ).
These are our general guidelines and wishes for a successful, helpful, and happy community.
If you have any ideas for improving or questions about the Xero Community please contact [email protected]